I used to think that Toto was the usual pop band out to make profits. Then I started to change my mind after watching the Live In Amsterdam video cd and on the 16th May, I stood corrected at Fort Canning Park!
By far the tightest, grooviest and most powerful band I have ever come across, Toto has managed to successfully (I quote successfully) fuse the popular with sheer musicianship and sophistry. Being one who listens to heavy fusion, I was skeptical of the performance, performance venue and honestly expected a bore. Glad to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the clever and refreshing arranegments of some of their music! I am now compelled to get my hands on Falling In Between, too.
Toto looked very natural on stage, performing with unmatched enthusiasm, despite the well-known fact that they've probably performed the songs on the Singapore set hundreds and hundreds of times (think Rosanna, Hold the Line, Stop Loving You, I Won't Hold You Back, Africa).
Quote: 'Simon Freakin' Phillips!' - Greg Philinganes. Even after having seen him at the recent clinic he held here, I was still stunned by Simon Phillips' drumming, which combined technicality with sheer musicianship, the hallmark of a master of any instrument. As a matter of fact, the aforementioned qualities probably, no, absolutely hold true for every member of Toto!
All in all, very inspirational. Without Toto, I probably would not have been able to make it through my life in a junior college. Nothing like a can of Toto to revitalise the soul. Come back soon, sirs!